ER Champ Returns for 2023... Offline!
In an exciting move, ER Champ has announced that it's grand finale 2023 will take place in person, in Poland. Whilst the date of the finale has yet to be announced, other important dates for your diary include:
June 3 - online stress test, hours. 16 UTC
June 24 - eliminations online, at. 16 UTC
The Escape Room Awards Have Announced Nominees
The Escape Room Awards are a Spanish-language escape room award ceremony taking places in person in Auditori Mediapro en la Avda Diagonal 177 de Barcelona, on the 24th April. This year sees a fantastic line-up, with a number of international rooms. Read more directly on their website.
Golden Lock Awards Set a Livestream Date This Month, April 29th 2023
Also in 'awards' news... The annual Golden Lock Awards is a livestream awards ceremony hosted by the Room Escape Artist team calling attention to and celebrating the best escape rooms in the world. This year, they add a new category: Events, to the roster. The Livestream will be available on Saturday 29th April at 9pm Eastern.
🧾 In Other News
- Buzzshot is 1,000 years old this month! No, seriously...
- Looking to hire a puzzle designer for your project? A crowdsourced Puzzle Designer spreadsheet has been created here.
- And if you want more information on some of the routes to becoming a puzzle designer, check out this guide.
- The Black Immersive Creators Grant is still open until April 30th. Apply here.
- Time Run, one of the UK's most popular escape rooms which closed years ago, has teased a reopening.
- Legacy Escape Box has started a new Youtube series interviewing owners and enthusiasts about all things escape room.
- From Escape Buzz, read their latest interview: TERPECA founder and escape room enthusiast - interview with Rich Bragg.
- ICYMI: Fool's Errand, a puzzle fitness challenge, has been cancelled for 2023.
- The April Edition of ERA Mag, an Australian escape room magazine is now live.
- From Blooloop, LCI Productions brings projection mapping to Oxford University’s MRI-themed escape room
- Playing escape rooms while pregnant? Here's some Player Tips from REA.
🔑 Recent Doors Unlocked
- Breakout Lawrence have opened a new room, Room 13, in Lawrence, KS.
- Carnegie Science Centre has opened bookings for Escape USS Requin this summer in PA.
- Clockwise Escape has opened with two rooms in Pleasanton, CA.
- Escape Hatteras has opened a new room, The Crazy Keeper, in Frisco, NC.
- Escape Room South is a new venue open with two rooms in McMurray, PA.
- Escape Studio have opened a new room, Zombie Outbreak, in Tooele, UT.
- Exit 446 has opened a new room, Superheroes of Lucha Libre in Pittsburg, CA.
- Ideal Escape Room has reopened with two rooms in Monticello, IN.
- Jackson Escape Games is a new site that has opened with 4 rooms in Jackson, GA.
- Locked In at the Lake has opened a new room, After Hours, in Cedar Lake, IN.
- Locked In NWI has opened a new room, Asylum, in Crown Point, IN.
- Novel Mysteries has opened a new room, Secrets of the Estate in Tulsa, OK.
- Optimal Escape has opened a new room, Murder Mystery in Evansville, IN.
- Secret Combinations has opened a new room, Lich's Lair in Salt Lake City, UT.
- Trapology Boston has opened a new room, Hot Dog Heist, in Boston, MA.
- WNDR Museum, whilst not an escape room, is now open in Seattle, WA.
- Question has announced a new room, Abyss, coming soon to Montreal, QC.
- Mystery Mansion Regina has relocated and opened a new room, Collected, in Regina, SK.
- Retro Oasis has opened a new room called The King's Hoard in Okotoks, AB.
- Topp Escape Adventures is a new site with one room that has opened in Regina, SK. Of note, Topp Escape is Regina's 1st Indigenous Women owned escape room.
- Unlocked Adventures has opened a new room, superHEIST in Kanata, ON.
- Aftermath The Game has opened a new room, Operation Global Storm, in London.
- Alderford Escape Islands has reopened with 4 new rooms in Alderford.
- Cryptic Escape Rooms have opened a new room, Estate of Panic in Hull.
- Cryptx has opened a new room, Phantom of the Light Opera, in Cambridge.
- Enigma Escapes s a new venue with one room in South Sheilds.
- Escapable has opened a new room, The Great Loudini in Wakefield.
- Escape Rooms Cheltenham have opened a new room, Pole Position, in Cheltenham.
- Escape3600 have opened a new venue with one room in Slough.
- Eureka Escape has opened a new room, The Bletchley Test, in Truro.
- Get Out Wisbech has opened a new room, Area 51, in Wisbech.
- Housetrap Escape Rooms' has a new game, Tribe, in Bodmin.
- Kettle Chips has a pop-up 40 minute escape room in London.
- Keylock Games has opened a new room, Nobody Loves Robot in Wickford.
- Lakes Escapes has opened a new room, The Lost Dragon, in Workington.
- Lock & Code have opened a new room, Hacking the Box, in Weston.
- Major Mind Games has opened a new room, The Super Pack, in Horsham.
- Paradox Parlours have opened a new room, The Rig, in Woking.
- Project Escape Hexham has opened a new room, Escaping Egypt The Lost Tomb in Hexham.
- Project Mayhem is a new site that has opened in Lincoln.
- Room Lockdown has opened a new room, Vecna Returns, in London.
- The Escape Game Swansea have opened a new room, Vandemic, in Swansea.
- The London Dungeon has opened an escape room in London.
- The Panic Room has opened a new room, The Don's Revenge in Gravesend.
- Wake the Beast has opened a new escape room, Escape from Fort Lagoon, in multiple locations.
- Z-Arts has opened a new room, The Library of Enchantment in Manchester.
- The Cipher Room has opened a new room, La Rebellion in St Peters, NSW, Australia.
- Labyrinth Escape Rooms has opened a new room, Outbreak in Parramatta, NSW, Australia.
- Scram Escape Rooms has opened a new room, Pharaoh's Tomb in Parramatta, NSW, Australia.
- The Mystery Rooms has opened a new room, Puddington's Toy Shop, in Geelong, VIC, Australia.
- U Escape Room has opened a new room, Little Block Nine in Perth, Australia.
📩 Have we missed an opening near you? Reply to this email and let us know!
A shout out to the resources & individuals who are a huge help when compiling this list each month:Escape the Review (UK) Morty App (Global), Matt Lui (CA), ERA Mag (Australia)
🔊 ListenLast month in Podcasts, Radio & Live ShowCager Express: Escape Break"Escape Break featuring Beth Divel and Tatiyana Abarro: Southern California's premier escape room podcast show. We recap fun rooms, interviews and bizarre topics!" Escape This Podcast"A show that’s a mix of escape room puzzles and tabletop role-playing." Puzzling Company"On this podcast, Zach and Jared every week cover a new at home puzzle / escape room style game and discuss all things about it!" Reality Escape Pod"Your hosts David Spira & Peih-Gee Law explore immersive gaming from all angles. Our guests have made awesome stuff: ARGs, puzzle hunts, tabletop games, and of course, escape rooms."The Infinite Escape Room"The puzzling podcast where a gaggle of geographically diverse chums come together, have a drink - and work together to solve a home made escape room of the ears."Shows & Livestreams
These podcasts may not have released new episodes this month, but are well worth checking out:
- Future of Storytelling - How to Design an Escape Room
- Escape rooms give audiences the opportunity to use their minds and bodies in an exciting, participatory experience. Victor van Doorn and his company Sherlocked are taking that offering to the next level by integrating deep storytelling into their rooms for an altogether more immersive experience. Hear Victor talk about how to design with an eye towards narrative and flow on today’s episode of the FoST podcast.
- Cipherdelic Pod
- "Have you ever wondered who oils the cogs of the constantly evolving escape room industry? Think no more. In each episode we speak to a guest from the interactive experience industry to offer you, our listener, a peak behind the curtain."
- Enigmailed Puzzlecast
- Thoughts perspectives and unpacking of ideas from the man behind Enigmailed Puzzles.
- Life is an Escape Room
- "The Life Is An Escape Room Podcast explores how the skills you gain playing escape rooms with intention will make you more successful in all aspects of your life."
🔎 April's Puzzle
The first word in this riddle,
Is a painful bee's defence.
The second swaps two to one
A fiancé's great expense.
The third stays home not outside,
Taking two to leave the rest.
Finally, keep the first half of that.
You'll find the fool in what's left.
Tweet us your answer @escapeindustry
Escape Industry News is brought to you by