The Lock and Key Awards, the UK's first escape room awards has been announced
"The Lock & Key Awards is a celebration of the Escape Room industry. It is a night of recognition for the best in the industry, as voted for by the industry." - The event will take place in Manchester, UK in March 2024.
The Full RECON 23 Schedule has been Announced
Taking place entirely online this year, this month sees the return of the Reality Escape Convention, with a new lineup of speakers:
"The Reality Escape Convention is a conversation for the escape & immersive game industry. With core tenets of knowledge, connection, and immersion, RECON opens dialogues. By attending RECON, you will gain new insights and a broader community. RECON supports a sustainable escape room industry now and in the future."
🧾 In Other News
Not quite an escape room but...
🔑 Recent Doors Unlocked
- Bainbridge Escape has opened a new site in Bainbridge Island, WA.
- Boerne Escape Rooms has opened a new room, Pirate Patrick's Lost Loot in Boerne, TX.
- Decode Zone has opened a new site in Bellefontaine, OH.
- Escape Hour Austin has opened a new room, Baker Street Mystery, in Austin, TX.
- Escape Room Adventures has opened a new room, Diamond Heist, in Fort Myers, FL.
- Escape Room LA has announced their new room opening soon, Black Dragon, in Los Angeles, CA.
- Escapology has opened a new site with two rooms in Stonestown, CA.
- Escapology has also opened a new site in Sarasota, FL.
- Just Escaped has opened a new room, Zombie, in Gainsville, FL.
- Surelock Escapes has opened a new room, Shimmer Reef, in Renton, WA.
- The Escape Game has opened a pop-up "Only Murders in the Building" escape room, available in Los Angeles, Las Vegas, and Online.
- The Escape Game has also opened two new rooms, The Depths and Timeliner, in New York, NY.
- The Escape Room has opened a new room, World on Edge, in Portland, ME.
- Top Tier Escape Room has opened a new room, Curse of the Crystal Cavern, in Oceanside, CA.
- Trapology has opened a second date for their Onyx Veil Gala event in Boston, MA.
- Discovery Harbour has opened a new escape room as Bo'Sun Brig, in Penetanguishene, ON.
- Escape City has opened a new room, The Woodsman, in Edmonton, AB.
- Fox in a Box has opened a new site in Sherbrooke, QC.
- Venture Scapes has opened a new site with 2 rooms in Edmonton, AB.
- Angle Escape has opened a new room, The Blade of the Father, in Peterborough.
- Axes and Escapes has opened a new room, Search for King Tut's Mask in Fakenham.
- Break Escape has opened a new site in Nottingham.
- Breakout Manchester have opened a new room, Forgotten Tomb, in Manchester.
- Control Room B is opening a new escape room in Battersea Power Station in London.
- CypherQuest has opened a new site in Boston.
- Deadlock have opened a new room, Galaxy Z, in Mablethorpe.
- Desert Escape has opened a new escape room in Hemel Hempstead.
- Divergent Games has opened a new room, Baddie Academy, in Falkirk.
- Escape Academy has opened a new room, Chapter:4 The Forest, in Suffolk.
- Escape Hunt has opened a new site with four rooms in Woking, and a new room in Manchester.
- Escape Live has opened a new room, Jack the Ripper, in Birmingham.
- Escape London has opened a new room, Project X, in London (Shepherd's Bush).
- Escape Newcastle has opened two new rooms in Newcastle.
- Escape Now has opened a new room, The Getaway, in Birmingham.
- Exciting Escapes has opened a new room, Breaking the Law, in London.
- Great Yarmouth Escape Rooms has opened a new site with 2 rooms in Great Yarmouth.
- Houdini's has opened a new site with four rooms in Milton Keynes.
- LevelUp Escapes has opened a new room, Mission: Abducted, in Shrewsbury.
- Prodigy Escapes has opened a new room, The Lost Temple, in Exeter.
- Rat Race Forest Facility has opened a new escape room, Secret Bunker, in Stamford.
- Sherlock the Live Game has opened a new room, The Mind of Moriarty in London.
- The Great Escape Leeds has announced a new experience, Necromancer running until Halloween in Leeds.
- The Lift has opened a new room, Lock and Rock, in Brighton.
- The Puzzle Room has opened two new rooms in Cannock.
- Xscape Now has opened a new room, Step Into Wonderland, in Telford.
- Xscape Rooms has opened a new room, Prison Impossible II in Bangor.
- Adventure Rooms has announced they will be opening a new site with four rooms, in Melbourne, Australia.
- BreakOut The Room has opened a new room, Asylum Escape, in Pialba, QLD, Australia.
- Eclipse Escape Rooms has opened a new room, Blackwood Manor, in Surfers Paradise, NSW, Australia.
- Entombed has opened a new room, Trial of the White Rabbit, in Launston, TAS, Australia.
- Jindabyne Escape Rooms has opened a new room, The Temple Room, in Jindabyne, NSW, Australia.
- Port Douglas Escape Room has opened a new room, Little Red Riding Hood, in Port Douglas, QLD, Australia.
- Project Immersive has opened a new room, Nuclear Enrichment, in Yeronga, QLD, Australia.
- Rush Escape Game has opened a new room, The Conjoining, in South Yarra, VIC, Australia.
📩 Have we missed an opening near you? Reply to this email and let us know!
A shout out to the resources & individuals who were a huge help this month:Escape the Review (UK), Morty App (USA), ERA Mag (Australia)
🔊 ListenLast month in Podcasts, Radio & Live ShowsCager Express: Escape Break"Escape Break featuring Beth Divel and Tatiyana Abarro: Southern California's premier escape room podcast show. We recap fun rooms, interviews and bizarre topics!" Escape This Podcast"A show that’s a mix of escape room puzzles and tabletop role-playing." Life is an Escape Room"The Life Is An Escape Room Podcast explores how the skills you gain playing escape rooms with intention will make you more successful in all aspects of your life." Live from the CodeBarLive from the CodeBar is a twice-monthly podcast about Armchair Treasure Hunts, codes, ciphers, puzzles, Escape Rooms as well as ARG's and puzzle subscription boxes. Reality Escape Pod"Your hosts David Spira & Peih-Gee Law explore immersive gaming from all angles. Our guests have made awesome stuff: ARGs, puzzle hunts, tabletop games, and of course, escape rooms." The Infinite Escape Room"The puzzling podcast where a gaggle of geographically diverse chums come together, have a drink - and work together to solve a home made escape room of the ears."
These podcasts may not have released new episodes this month, but are well worth checking out:
- Cipherdelic Pod
- "Have you ever wondered who oils the cogs of the constantly evolving escape room industry? Think no more. In each episode we speak to a guest from the interactive experience industry to offer you, our listener, a peak behind the curtain."
- Puzzling Company
- "On this podcast, Zach and Jared every week cover a new at home puzzle / escape room style game and discuss all things about it!"
🔎 August's Puzzle
I noticed something quite amusing about the words 'Taco Cat
' this month - I think it was whilst playing a round of Exploding Kittens. It got me thinking about August's puzzle.
A ??? for a jar of tuna.
Escape Industry News is brought to you by