The TERPECA Awards Show Results are In!
Last month the TERPECA's concluded after another successful year. 929 rooms were nominated and 100 were crowned the best in the world. Taking the top spots were Chapel & Catacombs at Lockhill in Athens, Greece, Molly's Game by Down the Hatch in Voorburg, Netherlands, and The Dome by Mama Bazooka in Bunschoten, Netherlands. Catch up on their livestream on Youtube here.
ESCAPETHEROOMERs Bullseye Awards takes place January 28th at 5pm EST
Every year ETRs hosts an awards ceremony at the end of the year celebrating the best escape room, tabletop game and players from around the world. This year, the livestreamed event will take place much later, on January 28th at 5pm EST. Watch live on Youtube.
TransWorld's Interactive Entertainment Show is Nearly Here
Featuring a range of interactive entertainment suppliers and venues, it is the USA's largest dedicated conference for the interactive entertainment industry. Don't forget to come and say hi to us here at Buzzshot./Telescape. We'll be at Booth #2223.
🧾 In Other News
- In good news for escape rooms everywhere, Sherlock Holmes is now in the public domain.
- Want to know what the 100 best escape rooms in the UK are? Escape the Review has published their data driven ranking here.
- Kotaku takes a deep dive into all things escape room, interviewing many business owners in their latest article: When Things Go Wrong With Players Solving Escape Rooms
- Now that the Universal Great Movie Escape have launched, reviews start to come in.
- Lock Me have announced they're adding Swedish escape rooms to their database.
- Room Escape Artist has announced their Montreal trip for May 2023, more information and tickets can be purchased here.
- M. Night Shyamalan Surprises Fans With Terrifying ‘Knock At The Cabin’ Escape Room Experience
- 'The guys are so salty': Inside Team USA's escape room shenanigans
- Escape-room game is inspired by UK space centre, potato-shaped stones bounce across the water
- Strange Bird Immersive have published a new article on Bottlenecks: Designing for Focus Mid-Experience.
- The Cain's Jawbone competition officially closed on New Year's Eve, results and tallies will be announced later this month.
- Disney+ and PEOPLE hosted a National Treasure: Edge of History-inspired escape room in L.A. in December, here's how it went.
- Retro style escape room video game, NEScape is launching this month on Nintendo Switch.
- In the New York Times, A New Puzzle Turns Earth Into a Rubik’s Cube, but More Complex
- On Mastodon? There's an escape room social server you can join here.
- Have kids interested in puzzle games? There's a new Facebook group you can join to support them.
🔑 Recent Doors Unlocked
- Cityscape Games has opened a new site in Tacoma, WA.
- EDscapade's new game The Nursery is now available for booking in San Jose, CA.
- Escape! at Margarita Adventures has opened a new room, Rita's Relics, in Santa Margarita, CA.
- Escapology has opened a new game, Lost City, in San Francisco, CA.
- Escapology has opened a new site in Houston, TX.
- Great Movie Escape Room has officially opened at Universal Citywalk, CA.
- Lock and Key Escape has reopened in Edina, MN.
- Portsmouth Escape Rooms has opened a new room, The Dojo, in Portsmouth, NH.
- Room Escapers has opened a new room, Streaming in Boston, MA.
- Sidequest Escape Games has opened a new mobile escape game in Portland, OR.
- The Escape Game has opened a new site in San Antonio, TX.
- The Escape Ventures has a new game opening this month in Orlando, FL.
- The Immersive Machine has opened it's first room, Sal's Cybernetics, in Phoenix, AZ.
- The Order of the Golden Scribe is a new immersive puzzle event coming to New York City.
- The Other Tales has opened a new room, Once Upon a Winter, in Hawthorne, NJ.
- The Vault Axe Throwing and VR Escape Room has opened with a number of escape rooms in Jacksonville, IL.
- None! Have we missed any? Let us know.
- Adrenaline has opened two new rooms in Atherton.
- All Stars Escape Rooms have opened a new room, Bit 8, in Weston-super-mare.
- Breakout Manchester has opened a new game, Frankenstein, in Manchester.
- Chesterfield Escape Rooms has opened a new room, An Hour to Kill Hollywood, in Chesterfield.
- CTRL ALT ESC have launched a new game, Ye Old Lock Inn in Margate.
- Don't Panic Escape Rooms has opened a new site in Huntingdon.
- Enigma Rooms has opened a new branch with one room in Watford.
- Escape Basildon has opened a new room, Phasmophobia in Basildon.
- Escape Entertainment have opened a new game, Chernobyl Nuclear Meltdown in Cheltenham.
- The Engine has opened a new room, The Pharaoh's Curse, in Dursley.
- The Great Escape Game Leeds has opened a new room, No Hope in Hell, in Leeds.
- Dr. Q Escape Rooms has opened a new room, The 5th Asylum, in Melbourne, VIC, Australia.
- Escape Reality have opened a new venue in Tuggerah, NSW, Australia.
- Escape Room Dubbo has opened a new room, Abandoned Laboratory in Dubbo, NSW, Australia.
- Escape This have reopened the President's Briefcase in Perth, WA, Australia.
- Jindabyne Escape Rooms is a new site that has opened with two rooms in Jindabyne, NSW, Australia.
- Locked In Escape Rooms has opened a new room, The Cure, in Mornington, VIC, Australia.
- OACE Escape has opened a new room, Home, in Adelaide, SA, Australia.
- Padlock'd Escape Rooms has opened a new room, Buried, in Surfers Paradise, QLD, Australia.
- Social Escape has opened a new room, Bellamy's Booty in Alexandria, NSW, Australia.
📩 Have we missed an opening near you? Reply to this email and let us know!
A shout out to the resources & individuals who are a huge help when compiling this list each month:Escape the Review (UK), ERA Mag (AU), Rich Bragg (US), Morty App (Global)
🔊 ListenLast month in Podcasts & RadioCager Express: Escape Break"Escape Break featuring Beth Divel and Tatiyana Abarro: Southern California's premier escape room podcast show. We recap fun rooms, interviews and bizarre topics!" Cipherdelic Pod"Have you ever wondered who oils the cogs of the constantly evolving escape room industry? Think no more. In each episode we speak to a guest from the interactive experience industry to offer you, our listener, a peak behind the curtain." Escape This Podcast"A show that’s a mix of escape room puzzles and tabletop role-playing." Puzzling Company"On this podcast, Zach and Jared every week cover a new at home puzzle / escape room style game and discuss all things about it!" Reality Escape Pod"With this Podcast, your hosts David Spira & Peih-Gee Law explore immersive gaming from all angles, alongside guests with incredible experience in this realm." The Infinite Escape Room"The puzzling podcast where a gaggle of geographically diverse chums come together, have a drink - and work together to solve a home made escape room of the ears."
And finally, not quite a podcast but...Behind the Mastermind"Live on our "Behind the MasterMinds" show where we interview with game creator and you'll get a chance to win FREE game giveaways!!!"
🔎 January's Puzzle
With the new year comes the perfect time to make plans and book time off for travel. With many of us planning our trips around where the best escape rooms are, today's riddle comes as an homage to travel. Tell me...
I have seas without water, coasts without sand, towns without people, and mountains without land. What am I?
Tweet us your answer @escapeindustry
Escape Industry News is brought to you by