Happy Escape Room Day! 🔐
Probably not news to anyone, but since October 1st is Escape Room Day, we wanted to take this space on the newsletter to wish you all a very happy day (and whole month, whilst we're at it). October 1st was picked due to it's particularly puzzling date. Taking the values of each of the letters in ESCAPE ROOM (where E=5, S=19) and so on, the sum of the word comes to 110. From here, 110 became 1-10, or 1st October.
Played more than 50 escape rooms? Don't forget to register for TERPECA!
Played more than 200? You're eligible to be a nominator this year. The 2023 TERPECA nomination window is open from now until October 31 at 11:59 PM Pacific time. Results of the nomination phase and voting will open on November 1st.
🧾 In Other News
Not quite an escape room but...
- You can watch the ER Champ Livestream on Youtube here.
- In a viral video you've probably seen around, a man locked some escape room employees in a building and left clues on how to escape.
- According to a new report published by Allied Market Research, titled, "Escape Room Market," The escape room market size was valued at $7.9 billion in 2022, and is estimated to reach $31 billion by 2032.
- Students at the University of Washington Interactive Media Design program have created an escape room called 'The Fate of SS Fortuna'. They've posted a recap of the design process here, and notes from the designers here.
- Students of escape room design may be interested in reading this syllabus for the Escape the Course: Immersive Games course by Jake Pinholster.
- In a recent article, Zooey Deschanel talks about her first date with her partner. Guess what, it was an escape room!
- The September issue of ERA Mag (Escape Rooms Australia) is out.
- Season 6 of the Reality Escape Podcast is now live! Listen here.
- London's SAW Escape has announced after-dark parties for Halloween.
- DarkPark, creators of multiple award winning escape rooms, has released an album of music from their rooms..
🔑 Recent Doors Unlocked
- Arcane Escape Rooms has reopened The Ghost of Mentryville in Santa Clarita, CA.
- Club Drosselmeyer is back in Cambridge, MA.
- Diablo Escapes has opened a new seasonal VR bundle in Walnut Creek, CA.
- Edge Escape Room has opened a new site in Kissimmee, FL.
- Escape Mission Chattanooga has opened a new site in Chattanooga, TN.
- Escape Room LA has opened a new room, Black Dragon, in Los Angeles, CA.
- Escape the Arcade has done a soft opening in Riverside, CA.
- Exit 446 has opened a new game, Beneath the Basement, in Pittsburg, CA.
- Fanny's Fortune is a pop-up escape room designed by Armchair Escapist coming this month in Caerphilly.
- Get Out of My Escape Room has opened a new office-themed room San Antonio, TX.
- Hourglass Escape Rooms (not associated with the Seattle company), has announced they're opening a new room in Chattanooga, TN.
- Hourglass Escape Rooms (not associated with the above, OR the Seattle company) has opened a new room, Runis, in Searcy, AR.
- I Panic Escape Room has opened a new room, Bigfoot the Legend Awaits, in Lakeland, FL.
- Limitless has opened a new room, Monster Squad, in Livermore, CA.
- LockBreaker Escapes has opened a Halloween version of their room Elevator, in Bellingham, WA.
- MPower Escape has opened a new room, The Haunted Cabin, in Morgan Hill, CA.
- Omescape has plans to open it's new room, Haunting at Hakura High this month, in Sunnydale, CA.
- Petersen Automotive Museum has opened a pop-up experience, Escape the Petersen, in Los Angeles, CA.
- Quantum Escapes has opened a new game, No Signal, in Danville, CA.
- Stumptown Escape Games has opened a new room, Lenore's Lost Library, in Beaverton, OR.
- The Lodge of Lazarus Crowe still says 'opening soon' but it's signs are now up and news is beginning to trickle in, in St Paul, MN.
- Top Tier Escape Rooms is opening a new Christmas room, in Oceanside, CA.
- Arcadia Escape Room has opened a new room, Dollhouse, in Calgary, AB.
- Crypto Escape Rooms has opened a new room, the Sorcerer's Secret in Newmarket, ON.
- Escape Manor has opened a new room, The Apothecary, in Ottawa, ON.
- Escaparium has opened a new room, Nights of Terror, in Laval QC.
- Hourglass Games (not associated with the many Hourglasses in the US) have opened a new room, A Night Before Christmas, in Stony Plain, AB.
- KW Escape has opened a new room, Potions and Puzzles, in Waterloo, ON.
- Mystery Mansion Regina has opened a new room, Genie-ology, in Regina, SK.
- Pandora's Locks has opened a new room Murder at Sea, in New Westminster, BC.
- Ready Set Go Adventures has opened a new room, VHS, in Mississauga, ON.
- Secret City have announced a new experience called "The Wedding Party" in Kleinburg, ON.
- Captive Escapes have opened a new room, 1940s Heist, in Hastings.
- Cluetopia have opened a new room, Twilight Manor in Ipswich.
- Compendium Escape Rooms have opened a new room, Bad Elf and the Key to the Sleigh, in Bury.
- Cluefinders Liverpool have opened a new room, Remy's Festive Fiasco in Liverpool.
- Cryptic Escape Rooms have opened a new room, Shattered Dimensions, in Manchester.
- Enigma Rooms have opened a new branch in Pontefract.
- Escape Adventures have opened a new room, Mystery at the Circus, in Scunthorpe.
- Escape Coalville has opened a new room, Jasper's Jingless Christmas in Coalville.
- Escape Rooms Suffolk have opened a new room, In the Jungle in Bury St Edmunds.
- Escape Plan Live are reopening a room, Séance, in Chatham.
- Escape Windsor have opened a new room, Spaced Out, in Windsor.
- Exit60 has opened a new room, Redbeard's Revenge, in Newport.
- Forbidden Quest have opened a new room, Time to Float, in Belfast.
- Get Out Wisbech have opened a new room, The Haunted House, in Wisbech.
- Hourglass Escapes have opened a new room, The Doctor Will See You Now, in Downham Market.
- LEGO are running a pop-up escape room, The Superpower Academy in London.
- Live Escape Salisbury have opened a new room, The Medieval Games, in Salisbury.
- Lucardo Rawtenstall have opened a new room, Seriously Eflish, in Rawtenstall.
- Major Mind Games is opening a new room, The Haunting, in Horsham.
- Northumberland Escape Rooms have opened a site in Morpeth.
- Norwich Escape Rooms have opened a new room, The Neanderthal in Norwich.
- PanIQ Rooms Wales have opened a new room, Christmas Chaos, in Porthmadog.
- ShapeShifters is a new site with a room, The Resurrectionist in Aberdeen.
- Sudbury Escape Rooms have opened a new room, Rob the Bank 2 in Sudbury.
- The Great Escape Game Leeds have opened a new room, Necromancer in Leeds.
- The Lift have opened a new room, The Lift Shaft, in Brighton.
- TimeQuest have opened a new escape room, Lab 42 with another to follow in Tonbridge.
- TimeTrap have opened a new room, Otto's 1901, in Reading.
- Trapp'd have announced they're opening a new room, Spellbound in Chester.
- Ware Escape Rooms have opened a new room, Hunted, in Ware.
- BreakOut The Room has opened a new room, Wizard world Dragon Escape, in Pialba, QLD, Australia.
- Cube Escape Rooms has opened a new room, The Calypso Enterprise, in Brisbane, QLD, Australia.
- Dr Q Escape Room has opened a new room, Haunted, in Melbourne, VIC, Australia.
- Escape Artists has opened a new room, Riddle Ridge School in Christchurch, New Zealand.
- Escape Hunt Sydney has opened a new room, Legend of the Sword, in Sydney, NSW, Australia.
- Escape Room Dubbo has opened a new room, Break In, Dubbo, NSW, Australia.
- Escape This have opened a new room, The Dunny, in Perth, WA, Australia.
- Mystic Escape has opened a new room, Yokai Izakaya, in Brisbane, QLD, Australia.
- Next Level Escapes has opened a new room, Forest of Echoes, in Sydney, NSW, Australia.
- Paniq Room Sydney has opened a new room, The Lift, in Sydney NSW, Australia.
- Project Immersive has opened a new room, Area 1, in Yeronga, QLD, Australia.
- Red Lock Escape Rooms has opened a new room, The Vampire Crypt, in Maroochydore, QLD, Australia.
- The Great Escape has opened a new site with lots of rooms in Melbourne, VIC, Australia.
- The Mystery Rooms has opened a new room, Jurassic Island, in Melbourne, VIC, Australia.
- Toowomba Escape Room has opened a new room, Peter Rabbit, in Toowomba, QLD, Australia.
- Trapt has opened a new room, Return to Wonderland, in Melbourne, VIC, Australia.
- U Escape Room has opened a new room, Enchanted Forest, in Perth, WA, Australia.
- Ultimate Roomscape have opened a new room, Mystery Box, in Perth, WA, Australia.
- Unexpected Exit has opened a new room, Deranged Scientist 2.0 in Newcastle, NSW, Australia.
Note - some of these may be from earlier months!
📩 Have we missed an opening near you? Reply to this email and let us know!
🔊 ListenLast month in Podcasts, Radio & Live ShowsCager Express: Escape Break"Escape Break featuring Beth Divel and Tatiyana Abarro: Southern California's premier escape room podcast show. We recap fun rooms, interviews and bizarre topics!" Escape This Podcast"A show that’s a mix of escape room puzzles and tabletop role-playing." Life is an Escape Room"The Life Is An Escape Room Podcast explores how the skills you gain playing escape rooms with intention will make you more successful in all aspects of your life." Live from the CodeBarLive from the CodeBar is a twice-monthly podcast about Armchair Treasure Hunts, codes, ciphers, puzzles, Escape Rooms as well as ARG's and puzzle subscription boxes. Locked in a Podcast”Locked In a Podcast” is an escape room themed podcast from the team at The Panic Room. Alex & co will take listeners on an exciting journey through the world of escape rooms. Reality Escape Pod"Your hosts David Spira & Peih-Gee Law explore immersive gaming from all angles. Our guests have made awesome stuff: ARGs, puzzle hunts, tabletop games, and of course, escape rooms." The Infinite Escape Room"The puzzling podcast where a gaggle of geographically diverse chums come together, have a drink - and work together to solve a home made escape room of the ears."
These podcasts may not have released new episodes this month, but are well worth checking out:
- Cipherdelic Pod
- "Have you ever wondered who oils the cogs of the constantly evolving escape room industry? Think no more. In each episode we speak to a guest from the interactive experience industry to offer you, our listener, a peak behind the curtain."
- Puzzling Company
- "On this podcast, Zach and Jared every week cover a new at home puzzle / escape room style game and discuss all things about it!"
🔎 October's PuzzleLet's keep it short and sweet with a fun, topically spooky riddle this month:
I have hundreds of ears, but I can’t hear a thing. What am I?
Escape Industry News is brought to you by